Based in Melbourne, Australia
March 14th 2018
Look down the barrel of a future where all your everyday needs are solved with guns. Samurai Punk presents The American Dream, a satirical virtual reality trip through a 1950’s world’s fair where you learn to live your life with guns. Players travel through a vast complex constructed by a group of respected gun manufacturers aiming to show the world the virtues of guns for the common man. The world of The American Dream sets its sights on a future where guns are used for all manner of things like eating a meal, driving a car or working to provide for your family. With weapons ranging from pistols to rifles and shotguns, you’ll learn how guns will take care of all your day-to-day needs! Bite the bullet and come on down, you’re guaranteed to have a blast every time at The American Dream!
The American Dream began development in 2016 and will release on March 14th 2018 on PlayStation 4, Oculus and Steam.
- The chance to see the world through eyes of a true American patriot
- Over twenty heartwarming, pulse-pounding, brain-tingling, action-packed stages, each representing a key moment in the average American life
- Immersive, interactive environments ready to meet the business end of your guns
- The opportunity to purchase and try out a variety of firearms from common pistols to tactical sporting rifles. For every task in life, there is a suitable gun for the job!
- The voice talents of Michael Dobson (Dragon Ball Z, DeathSpank, Sausage Party, Transformers) as Buddy Washington
- Guns and bullets
Launch Trailer YouTube
July 4th Trailer YouTube
How to Live The American Dream - An Educational Film YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Unite Australia - Showcase" November, 2016
- "Indie Megabooth PAX East - Selection" March, 2017
- "Play By Play - Finalist" April, 2017
- "Indie Prize - Best Audio Nominee" May, 2017
- "Indie Prize - Best VR Nominee" May, 2017
- "Busan Indie Connect - Selection" 2017
- "With its Norman Rockwell-kissed aesthetic and a (not unkind) satirical take on the Second Amendment, The American Dream is a very American game."
- Lucy O'Brien, IGN
- "How else is mummy supposed to know you're hungry unless you fire a warning shot?"
- Alex Walker, Kotaku
- "Last week I accidentally shot myself in the face while playing a virtual reality game called The American Dream."
- Charlie Hall, Polygon
- "It’s an amusing concept, and during the 20 minutes I spent playing The American Dream, I found it much funnier than I expected. ...taken as a lighthearted critique of first-person shooters, it works. "
- Shaun Prescott, PC Gamer
- "I absolutely enjoyed playing the game, but was still crippled by discomfort with a well of nerves in my stomach, and felt utterly powerless to something that’s only virtually there."
- Alanah Pearce, IGN
- "They set forward to make a game that rides the line between intelligent and witty satire and simple mockery. If the demo build is any indicator, they’ve managed to do that beautifully."
- Anthony Nash, UploadVR
- "It's a ridiculous VR experience, and refreshingly different from the other shooters popping up everywhere as VR gaming takes off."
- Claire Reilly, CNET
The American Dream
Official site for The American Dream samuraipunk.com.
About Samurai Punk
Samurai Punk is a small Melbourne-based independent game developer that creates games with love and care.
More information on Samurai Punk, our logo & relevant media are available here.
The American Dream Credits
Design and Development
A Shell in the Pit